For a lack of a better name, this is what I shall call this post. One of the issues I was working at vac was creating a feasibility study for discv5. The full issue can be seen here. A breakdown issue of how I personally approached this was also created which can be viewed here.
Now that I am a few days into researching discv5, a several things come up which affect the feasibility of the study itself and how best to conduct it.
So, here is what we know:
- discv5, according to Felix Lange will “hopefully” be finalized by August.
- The nim implementation is missing probably one of the most important components for the discv5 study which is topic advertisement.
- There is a go pr that contains the initial implementation of discv5 that is closer to spec than that of nim. See #20750.
With the information we have we are in the perfect position to make a decision. These are the options I see:
- Instead of using nim for the feasibility study, use the go implementation.
- Take the time to develop the nim implementation AND then do the feasibility study.
- Delay the feasibility study until we are closer to the date at which discv5 finalizes.
I would currently be leaning toward